Sunday 5 February 2012

Little Snowy Swans

Like most of the country today, Little Swans awoke to a winter wonderland, with a thick carpet of snow covering the outdoors.  Memories of cold days, with feet wet from the snow melting in your wellies and gloves soaking through, to freeze snowman-making mitts.


To counteract the winter freeze, we set to with the oven at full blast to master the humble chocolate cake.  We used the following recipe, cooking the cake at 170 degrees for just over half an hour...

For the chocolate sponge, we used this recipe:
  • 175g (6oz) butter, at room temperature
  • 3 eggs, at room temperature
  • 175g (6oz) caster sugar
  • 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
  • 50g (2oz) cocoa powder
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • ½tsp vanilla extract
  •  
We sliced the cake in two and added creamy frosting to the centre and the topping, using the following:
  • 200g (8oz) icing sugar
  • 50g (2oz) cocoa powder
  • 200g (8oz) butter
  • 1tbsp milk
  • 1tsp vanilla extract

Now, this was my first foray into the world of grown-up cake making.  Fairy cakes, I can make, they pose no problems.  In fact, I learnt how to make them alongside a group of eleven year olds, so I should hope I can master them.  Grown-up big cakes have always intimidated me!  Fear be gone!  Today's chocolate masterpiece has awoken a new passion.  I fear that I will be making this chocolate wonder often and the old adage of a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips, may be ringing in my head... 
Thankfully Lent is on the horizon, saving my muffin top from a reappearance, but for now, it's time to wrap up in the warmth, watch the snow melting outside and enjoy a slow and painless death by chocolate...

Love from,

Little Swans

P.S. Need something to warm your cockles?  Follow the link to the Little Swans Little Shop...

No comments:

Post a Comment